I’m excited to bring you this new recipe. This one is loaded with flavor and even your littlest family members will love it. Oh, and it takes less than 30 minutes from start to finish.
Before I get started I want to show off the cute apron my father-in-law and his wife gave me last Hanukkah. Its super cute and covered with little Star of David decorations. You can see all of my ingredients in the background.
On to the cooking. This recipe uses a LOT of butter. Wait, don’t all good recipes? You are going to need 1 stick and another 3 tablespoons. Getting started you want to melt ONLY 3 tablespoons of butter in a saucepan. (You could probably use cooking oil instead.) Then, put in your mushrooms and sauté until soft. After that, you are going to add in the spinach just until wilted.
Next, put the spinach mixture into a separate bowl and begin making the cream sauce. You are going to melt MORE BUTTER into the same skillet. This time use a whole stick, no substitutions allowed. I melted it on low to avoid burning the butter and then added the cream. Now is a perfect time to add your seasoning. Once the cream mixture is warm, you are going to add your cheese in slowly. Be sure to whisk between additions until everything is smooth. This is a simple sauce, so using the best ingredients you can will really make this dish fabulous. I used 1 1/4 cup applewood smoked Gouda and 3/4 cup fresh Parmesan. Although, you can change these ratios to half and half as long as you still end up with 2 cups shredded cheese.
The last step is simple. Just add your spinach and mushroom mixture back into the sauce and heat until warm.
You can serve this wonderful sauce over any pasta you like. My boys really love rotini pasta but I think penne works just as well. I have made this several times now and my family enjoys it as a vegetarian meal or with some grilled chicken on top. I think it would pair well with any white fish too.
Gouda Alfredo with Spinach and Mushroom
Prep time: 10 min.
Cook time: 20 min.
You will need:
- 1 stick + 3 Tbsp sweet cream butter (divided)
- 1lb. fresh baby portabella mushrooms (thinly sliced, stems removed)
- 3 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 tsp. Himalayan pink salt
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1-1/4 cups applewood smoked all natural Gouda cheese
- 3/4 cup Frigo brand Parmesan cheese (grated)
- Melt 3 Tbsp. butter in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and sauté for 4-5 min until softened.
- Add 3 cups fresh baby spinach and stir just until wilted. Transfer to a separate bowl.
- In the same skillet, reduce heat to medium and melt 1 stick of butter.
- Whisk in 1 cup heavy whipping cream.
- Season with 1/4 tsp. salt & 1 tsp. garlic powder.
- When mixture is warmed, slowly add the grated cheese mixture, whisking until smooth between each addition.
- Add spinach and mushroom mixture back into the skillet with the cheese sauce. (*NOTE: Drain excess liquid from spinach and mushrooms before adding back in.*)
- Serve over freshly cooked pasta of your choice.
Please let me know what you think about this recipe in the comment section below. Have you had an Alfredo sauce with smoked Gouda before? What other cheeses do you like to use at home? I hope your family enjoys this dish as much as our family.